[whatwg] [WA1] <ol type=a> is semantic

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, James Graham wrote:

>>Getting a decent backwards compatibility story seems, uh, non-trivial at
>>the least. Of course this is true of CSS3 generated content as well but
>>that doesn't seem to bother people so much...
>

> I like your idea. I don't know that there realy is a back-compat problem,
> we could just say that it accepts text content, so you could write:

>    above</p>
>
> ...until such time as enough browsers support <ref> that you don't worry
> anymore; since the answer number is (at least in this case) just
> additional information (the answer is given right there too) it isn't a
> huge problem if it is lost.

Yeah, I suppose that would be good enough.

> BTW I'd be tempted to suggest that the attribute on <ref> be for="" and
[...]
 > for consistency with <label for=""> and <output for=""> -- what do
 > you think?

Well it sounds a bit odd - I think the refernce is the other way around
to <label> - <ref to=""> is less backwards sounding. But I guess it's
basically consistent with <output>. Either is better than target though.

> that it take an IDREF rather than a URI, to avoid any chance that people
> might try to refer to things in other documents and expect it to work

Yes, for sure.

--
"It seems to be a constant throughout history: In every period, people
believed things that were just ridiculous, and believed them so strongly

-- http://www.paulgraham.com/say.html