[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

Ian Hickson wrote:
> The reason I suggested that we should allow for easy fallback onto
> <select> is that for the menu-button use case, it's very easy to implement
> that kind of menu using <select> (and is done often today), and so it
> would allow for a seamless fallback (if we do it right).

But if you fall back to <select>, doesn't that mean you'll be limiting
the model to the flat menus that <select> allows?  I.e., you'll be
disallowing things like Open > Recent Documents > (list of documents).
Unless you are proposing <select>'s simply as a suggestion for backward
compatibility, that is completely ignored (i.e., removed from the DOM)
in the presence of a menu implementation (in-browser or with Javascript)...?