[whatwg] Text support in <canvas>

Jayant Sai wrote:

> The introduction of the <canvas> is a GREAT start for higher quality
> graphics on the clientside. But whats missing is support for text
> rendering. Text is as important an element of graphics as the drawn shapes.

Allowing text in <canvas> has serious accessibility problems. Presumably
such text would not be resizable and encouraging authors to use
non-resizable text in their web-apps is not a good idea. I guess there
would also be (separate) issues with fonts; one assumes font
substitution on a bitmap drawing would be more problematic than font
substitution where the text is the main content.

> Also, adding text support will bring <canvas> to par with MSIE's VML.

Isn't VML substantially closer to SVG (which supports text)?

--
"It seems to be a constant throughout history: In every period, people
believed things that were just ridiculous, and believed them so strongly

-- http://www.paulgraham.com/say.html