[whatwg] A thought: <a href="..." method="post">

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On May 13, 2005, at 06:28, Michael Gratton wrote:
>
>> Most web applications I have seen (certainly nearly every one written
>> in Java) do not differentiate between parameters provided by a GET or
>> a POST; you can do either and the application will work in the same way.
>

> Of the various server-side frameworks available Java servlets are
> among the most cluefully designed when it comes to getting HTTP right.
> If a developer calls doPost from doGet, there is nothing the framework
> designer can do about it.
>
> I'm still -1 on changing the specs to accommodate people who have been
> ignoring RFC 2616.

That seems to be based on the belief that all things which look like
links must correspond to idempotent actions. I don't think this is true
and, in general, think that trying to couple the user interface to the
underlying protocol is a bad idea.

--
"But if science you say still sounds too deep,
Just do what Beaker does, just shrug and 'Meep!'"

-- Dr. Bunsen Honeydew & Beaker of Muppet Labs