[whatwg] A thought: <a href="..." method="post">

Matthew Thomas wrote:
> All the Webmail application is doing is retaining visited/unvisited
> presentation across whatever computer you log in to your Webmail from --
> which is part of the point of it being a Web application in the first
> place. So that's not really a good example of a non-idempotent action,
> and therefore not a reason for specs to condone non-idempotent links.

I should have stated explicitly that when I said "marking the message as
read in some way" I intended that the "some way" could be more than just
changing a message's unread flag, it could be e.g. moving the message
from the inbox to a "Read messages" folder. Even if the message is
"just" marked as read, this can change more than the appearance of the
message - it can change where in the interface it is displayed (in some
sort of virtual-folder based setup), etc.   So I don't think you can
dismiss this as "not really a good example of a non-idempotent action" -
it clearly /is/ non-idempotent yet representing the action as a link is
normal and widely understood.