[whatwg] Drag and drop in HTML5

On Wed, 4 May 2005, David Hyatt wrote:

> Safari also supports a :-khtml-dragging pseudo-class (like :hover or
> :active) that is used to render the element while it is being dragged.
> This allows you to do dynamic drag effects solely using CSS, is purely
> presentational, and so IMO does belong in CSS.

Yeah, that belongs in CSS.

> I personally think controlling focusability, dragging, selection and
> editing from CSS is a done deal.  Safari and Dashboard already support
> user-drag, user-select and user-modify.  Mozilla supports user-focus and
> user-select.  We plan to add user-focus support to Safari.

Whether an element (other than something purely presentational like a
window) is draggable, whether an element is selectable, and whether an
element is modifiable or editable are quite clearly not presentational
aspects. They don't belong in the presentational layer, especially since
that layer can be turned off.

IMHO.

As far as editing goes, contentEditable="" is the way we're going at the
moment, I think. Focusable is probably going to be tabindex="".
Selectable hasn't yet been discussed (I could be convinced that that is
presentational, actually). Draggable is clearly not presentational; my
current thinking is something like contentDraggable="" or something.