[whatwg] Introducing new elements is expensive

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Olav Junker Kj?r wrote:

> > I would recommend that suggestions avoid new elements, especially when
> > those elements have a lot of attributes, and especially when the
> > element has semantics very similar to an existing element.
>
> The "output" element in WF2 shouldn't really be a new element. The
> semantics and interface are very similar to the input element
> (especially a input type=text with readonly).

I agreed, originally. However, I couldn't bring myself to require people
to write:

   <input type="output">

As much as it would be really cool from a fallback perspective, that's
just too wrong to keep. (I think it was in the spec for about 2 weeks
before I just snapped and had to change it.)