[whatwg] Re: modal and modeless windows

Mark,

I appreciate that Xforms supports modal and modeless messages, yet I
miss it in the web browser.

I could envision that as follows, lets take the address book of
Microsoft Outlook, the desktop application, as an example.

You have a page (resource) my_addresses.html, a simple document that
shows you all your addresses without any form fields. If you want to
edit an address you click on it, which will open a modal window, this
modal window should then contain the xforms document to edit the
address, with a "Save and Close" and "Cancel" button. Cancel will close
the modal window, no other action is taken. Save and Close will save the
form data, closes the modal window and it will update the changes in the
underlying my_addresses.html document, i.e. by reloading it.

You can do the same without modal windows, the traditional approach, see
i.e.
Views and Forms: Principles of Task Flow for Web Applications Part 1
(Bob Baxley)
http://www.boxesandarrows.com/archives/views_and_forms_principles_of_task_flow_for_web_applications_part_1.php

Though I believe the modal window approach would be much cleaner and
saver, maybe Bob Baxley would have chosen that way, if modal windows
existed.

Karl