[whatwg] suggestion: LINK element for session termination

Hello,

On 6/14/05, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <hallvord at hallvord.com> wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2005 at 0:07, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I guess that's all you really need.
>
> For HTTP authentication, it probably is. But I was also looking for a
> generic way to let the UA know when a page is a part of a "session"
> whether that session is established with forms login or authenticate
> headers.
>
> For authenticate of course the UA does know when it sent the
> authentication headers, and with your suggestion below it can also
> learn when the server considers the session closed. With a forms
> login, you would need to apply very uncertain logistics to tell if
> something was part of a session (something like "user has posted a
> form with a password to this site earlier and the site has not
> deleted all its cookies since then"?). I sort of liked LINK
> rel="logout" .. :)

Yeah, that seems like an adequate solution for form/cookie based
logins.  However (just to say it explicitly), this will only work with
HTML.  (Although HTML maybe be the limit of the scope that you are
trying to apply this to.)

See ya

--
     Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.