[whatwg] Context help in Web Forms

Derek Featherstone wrote:
> I've actually been thinking about that for a while - rather than leaving it
> to a "guess" why not bind it specifically with something like an about
> attribute that identifies the specific element/node it references?
>
>  rel="help" about="#phone-number"

Or perhaps <a ... rel="help" for="phone-number">, to be consistent with
the for= attribute in <label>.

Many applications provide inline help which is not a label, and the same
attributes would be appropriate here: <div rel="help"
for="phone-number"><p>The full number, including country code.</p>

The cite= attribute was also mentioned in this thread as one that is
practically useless because there is no good way of presenting it.
(Sometimes authors use JavaScript to pull it out of a <blockquote> and
present it as a link underneath. But that still has accessibility
problems, because it doesn't work without JavaScript, and the resulting
link text is either a raw URL or the same text for every quote. These
problems make the technique even more unworkable for <q>.) As a result,
authors usually use an <a> link to the resource they're quoting (look at
most self-hosted Weblogs for examples), and there ends up being no
machine-readable connection between the link and the quote. This could
similarly be achieved in the <a> element with a for= attribute giving
the ID of the <blockquote> or <q> element.

The majority of authors still wouldn't use these attributes, because it
would give them no presentational benefit. But at least authors would be
slightly more likely to use them than to use attributes that they have
to re-present using extra elements or JavaScript.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/