[whatwg] [html5] window.print() undefined

Dimitri Glazkov wrote:

>On 7/19/05, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>

>>What functionality are you lacking? (Both in screen and print.)
>>

>Like, adding contextual content for print. Just like your main content
>is not the only thing on the page, same may hold true for the print.
>
>I think this discussion is about to turn into debunking of specific
>application requirements and approaches, but I'll bite:
>
>a) my invoice format requires a timestamp that says something like
>this: printed by [person] on [timestamp].
>
>b) To capture the essence of the browsing session, I would like to
>build a breadcrumb at the bottom of the printed page, displaying
>titles and urls of pages the user have visited on the site during this
>visit.
>
>:DG<

I'll add another case: the onafterprint event could be used in a
"wizard"-style application where printing some document is step 3 of 10,
for example.  The application could proceed to the next step (not
necessarily a different document) automatically without requiring a
button that says "click here when done printing".  That's a case that a
media-specific stylesheet cannot handle.  Automating tasks and reducing
clicks are both high priorities in my development of web applications.

If the ability to set printer settings such as portrait/landscape is
available, an "onbeforeprint" event could be used to prompt the user
whether they'd like to automatically switch their paper orientation to
portrait or landscape before printing.  (The same can be said for
margins and headers/footers.)  This can be done in the print dialog, but
if it is truly important to how the page prints, a separate step that
highlights the importance of the print setting to the user would be
helpful in reducing calls to my company's tech support line.

Greg