[whatwg] Input type=date UI discussion

Jim Ley wrote:
> On 7/12/05, Dean Edwards <dean at edwards.name> wrote:
>> Jim Ley wrote:
>>> On 7/12/05, Dean Edwards <dean at edwards.name> wrote:
>
>>> You should either use the windows common controls, or you should
>>> have something that cannot be confused for the normal controls.
>>
>> Yeah. We are copying the windows common controls.
>

> As I say, please use them, or doing something different, copying
> something and getting it only 90% right (which is all that is
> practical as if you're doing this with zero install, that's all you
> have access to) then it's worse than being completely different.

We can't actually use them (common controls). The date control, for
example, may not be installed. Besides, we don't want to for other
reasons...

Jim, we've been round the block on use of the <object> element. If you
have anything new to add then let's hear it. If not, can you use it in
your own implementation instead?

> I fail to see why a popup month view should not be usable by the
> assistive technologies, and more importantly how will you know what
> assistive technologies are being used?  I'll say again AIUI, certain
> input modes and screen reading type things require a window to have
> focus to work.   This is just my understanding, but I'm reasonably
> confident of it.

We have an accessibility expert (Derek Featherstone) assisting us on
this development. I will make sure that he is aware of the issues you've
raised. So far, our testing indicates that we are not breaking
accessibility in the way we are using popups.

> It's not a text box, it's an input type=datetime (say), I'm asking is
>  if that should act the same as a text box w.r.t. to enter submitting
>  the form?

I think that is what it says in the spec. Ian?

-dean