[whatwg] Re: several messages

James Graham wrote:

> Matthew Raymond wrote:
>

>> | <label for="d1">First Date:</label>
>> | <dateinput id="d1" name="d1" value="2005-01-30">
>> |  <select name="d1_month"><!-- Options --></select>
>> |  <select name="d1_day"><!-- Options --></select>
>> |  <select name="d1_year"><!-- Options --></select>
>> | </dateinput>
>

> I haven't been following all the discusion about date formats but,
> subject to that proviso, this construct alone (without any inheritance
> of attributes) seems to address the major concern that has been raised
> about the datetime types (lack of a decent way of providing fallback).
> A WF2 UA would simply display:none all children of the dateinput
> element. The values corresponding to these child controls could be
> submitted, or not, depending on the whim of the UA developer (or
> rather on the particular limitations of their browser codebase). The
> user would have to look for a value of the <dateinput> control in the
> submitted fields to determine whether to use the WF2 or legacy values.
> That seems to be easy enough to implement that all vendors should get
> it right and it provides authors with a mechanism for usable fallback.
> But, as I said, I haven't followed the discussion, so I might be wrong.

To be cler, I don't intend to suggest that the children of the dateinput
element be limited to anything specific i.e. the construction would be:
<dateinput>
<!-- Child elements for legacy UAs -->
</dateinput>

--
"But if science you say still sounds too deep,
Just do what Beaker does, just shrug and 'Meep!'"

-- Dr. Bunsen Honeydew & Beaker of Muppet Labs