[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 - what does it extend , definition of same,

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, James Graham wrote:

> > The ideal is both, users with different needs have big problems using
> > generic UA's by providing semantic mark-up, it's trivial to create new
> > views on the same data - think how easy Mathew Somervilles Accessible
> > Odeon scraping would've been had they based their system on iCal.
>
> Indeed. They could have used HTML 4's <link rel="alternate"> to point to
> the iCal data from the HTML page. Sadly, the convenience of building up
> HTML directly from the underlying database (not to mention the
> incompetence of Odeon) meant they didn't feel the need to insert an
> extra layer of abstraction between their db and the web page.

Note the current (work in progress) proposal to allow iCal content to be
mechanically integrated into HTML documents in a backwards-compatible
manner:

   http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#calendars
   http://developers.technorati.com/wiki/hCalendar

> Sure I would like it it everyone communicated everything freely using
> standard languages correctly. Realistically, it isn't going to happen.

Sad to say, but you're right.