[whatwg] Publishing another Web Forms 2 Call For Comments soon

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Olav Junker Kj?r wrote:
> I suspect that I'm beating a dead horse or something here, but for what
> its worth, I dont find these two use cases entirely convincing.
>
> If you want to edit tabular data, you would either want a single row to
> be editable at a time, in which case you need only one form, or you
> would want all rows to be editable at the same time, in which case you
> still only need one form, since you want to be able to submit all the
> changes.

Regarding submitting all the changes: A specific row in the table
could be submitted to a new window or another frame, or be submitted
without updating the page, and you could keep making other changes.

There are situations where you do not want to update all the data. For
instance, use some Bugzilla clone and look at the search output: a
long table of similar, but not interdependent data. I would like to be
able to update only one of the bugs straight from the list to mark dup
or update the version and I definitely don't want to submit them all -
imagine marking all of them as reproduced in the current version by
mistake. I'm sure there are many more use cases where table row data
is loosely related and submitting only one row is an important
feature.
--
Hallvord R. M. Steen