(unknown charset) [whatwg] data: scheme in form submission

From: (unknown charset) Olav Junker Kjær <olav@olav.dk>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:22:24 +0100
Ian Hickson wrote:
> Well, the definition in the spec does what any submission system needs to
> do -- it gives the data to the target.

Yes, that was the part I didn't understand :-)
The spec just describes how escape and embed the dataset in the URI, and
then it says: "Then, access the resulting URI". But what does it mean to
access a data URI?

> I'd rather not leave things undefined, because at the end of the day
> people will just come and ask me what they should implement anyway, and
> then I'll have to come up with something which will end up implemented but
> not specified anywhere.

You are right, undefined is a bad idea.
However, by describing specific rules for how to handle data-URI, the
spec gives the impression that this scheme is somehow a useful feature.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the data-scheme is
not really useful as an action target, and that its only described in
the spec for completeness? In that case, there are many other schemes
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes> that authors could
theoretically use in an action-attribute.

Maybe the spec could just say that the form throws a
URI_SCHEME_NOT_SUPPORTED exception when an unsupported scheme is used.

Olav Junker Kj?r