[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 Implementation choices

From: Olav Junker Kjr <olav@olav.dk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:15:42 +0100
Ian Hickson wrote:

> Web Forms 2.0 is not written with a pure JS implementation in mind, but if
> there are small changes that could be made to the spec today to make doing
> such an implementation easier, let me know. The primary target for WF2 and
> WA1 is native implementations and XBL- and HTC- based implementations.

Custom events cannot (as far as I know) be generated through pure
javascript in IE. Also, property setter and getter methods cannot be
implemented in IE, without HTC's. So I think it would require
significant changes to the spec to allow a pure JS implementation.

However, some features in the spec is impossible to implement even using
HTC's:
- bubbeling events. HTC's support custom events, but they cannot bubble.
- [[DefaultValue]] method on ValidityState cannot be implemented in IE
- implementation.hasFeature("WebForms", "2.0") cannot be supported
- new css pseudo-classes cannot be supported fully
- lots of limitations around the input type=file and the different
encoding types.

Of course, since an implementation has to support DOM3 Core+Events to
claim conformance to WF2, a fully conformant HTC-based implementation
for IE is probably not realistic anyway :-)

Olav Junker Kj?r