[whatwg] Suggestions and questions for Web Forms 2.0, 2004-12-26

Matthew Thomas wrote:

>>> 10. Why the exception of <div>?
>>

>> The idea here is to allow certain cases that were disallowed in HTML4,
>> despite being semantically adequate. The <div> element, however,
>> doesn't add any semantics, and so doesn't make the case semantically
>> adequate.
>

> Semantically adequate for what? This will cause people to use
> semantic  elements inappropriately (most likely, use <p></p> for
> something that  isn't a paragraph), weakening the overall
> meaningfulness of the  elements (for example, making a word
> processor's paragraph count return  incorrect results). As Jim Ley
> said earlier
> <http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2005-
> January/002798.html>, HTML elements cover Web-document semantics
> rather  than application semantics, so the probability of HTML
> containing a  non-<div> element appropriate for the meaning of any
> given form is near  zero.

+1 We shouldn't introduce artifical restrictions that can't possibly be
enforced and will quickly lead to reality going out of sync with the
spec. Plus <div> is, as Matthew says, going to be needed in any language
sufficiently simple as to be used correctly by most well-meaning authors.