[whatwg] Value attribute

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:27:21 -0500
Olav Junker Kj?r wrote:
[Snip!]
> Think of it as currentValue and defaultValue. Both exists in the DOM,
> but only defaultValue is represented in the HTML source. The confusing
> part is that in HTML defaultValue is called "value", while in the DOM it
> is currentValue that is called "value".
>
> Anyway, editing the value of an input field does change the DOM "value"
> attribute, but does not change the "value" content attribute in the
> underlying HTML.

    In general, if you set a DOM property, it won't set the actual
attribute in markup. In order to change the markup, I think you have to
use the setAttribute method. However, I believe that the setAttribute
method does change the DOM property.

    Internet Explorer, as I understand, completely ignores this and
always makes a property and the corresponding attribute the same. In
other words, IE is aspec.