[whatwg] Pattern Hint

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Dean Edwards wrote:

> I know this has been suggested before, and was rejected, but I would
> quite like to see a "pattern hint" attribute added to Web Forms 2.0.
> With more complex input controls we should spare a thought for the poor
> user.

There is one. It's the "title" attribute. See:

   http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#patternTitle

Authors can also include the help information inline, next to the pattern.

I'm wary of adding additional help mechanisms. Authors haven't exactly
gone out of their way to use the existing mechanisms.