[whatwg] Pattern Hint

Matthew Raymond wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>Dean Edwards wrote:
>>>
>>>That is not enough. I wouldn't put something so complex in a tooltip. It
>>>would frighten my users.
>>
>>What could be so complex that would frighten users when used in a title
>>attribute, yet wouldn't have the same effect when used in some kind of
>>pattern hint attribute, regardless of how it's displayed to the user?
>

>    Wouldn't it be difficult for someone to type while viewing the
> tooltip? When I try it in Firefox, the tooltip disappears as soon as I
> start typing. Unless the user is being presented with a localized
> control that displays the output in the pattern they're accustomed to,
> the web developer is going to need to make the hint viewable continuously.

That's my thinking. I'm also concerned about pattern mismatches. If a
form is invalid the UA is supposed to feed back information to help the
user complete the form.

http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#form-submission

For most types, pattern mismatches are easy to explain to the user -
"Please enter a valid time (format HH:MM:SS).". For a complex pattern
this is more difficult. The UA can't assume that the "title" attribute
is going to help in this situation so must fall back to a generic
"Pattern mismatch".

My concern is one of usability. We have provided a mechanism for
entering complex patterns, we should also provide a mechanism for
helping end-users enter these patterns.

-dean