[whatwg] Canvas element - Keep It Simple

From: Jim Ley <jim.ley@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:14:29 +0100
On 4/24/05, Kornel Lesinski <kornel at ldreams.net> wrote:
> canvas doesn't belong to CSS, because CSS can't use it.

Neither can HTML - it's always blank unless script is supported, so by
that argument, Script, and only Script is the appropriate place.

> Enabling via JS IMHO doesn't work either. Just adds unneccesary code:

> <script
> type="text/javascript">document.getElementById('canvas').drawable=true</script>

You've made these seem bloated, but you're ignoring the fact that the
only "extra" code in that example is the .drawable=true - if that
really is a problem, then it would be trivial to not require it and
just allow drawing to start on top of any element.
> It would be possible to modify prototype of HTMLCanvasElement
> to add functions that are missing in some implementations or

The existence of an HTMLCanvasElement prototype is not standard
currently - are you suggesting that the Web Application specification
should require the prototyping of these objects?   I would be very
much opposed to this, requiring a particular coupling to javascript is
not a good idea.

Jim.