[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, fantasai wrote:

> > > Do you want to replace "NONSGML" with "THIS-IS-NOT-SGML"?
> >
> > No, I want to replace <!DOCTYPE - with something completely different,
> > the whole point that anything that looks like an SGML (or XHTML)
> > doctype will confuse users into thinking that it is an application of
> > SGML.
>
> The vast majority of people out there have never heard of SGML,
> and the ones who have are probably clever enough to figure out
> that NONSGML means it's not SGML.

Of course (ironically) they'd be wrong... NONSGML is an SGML keyword
meaning that the DTD in question is not an SGML DTD, it doesn't mean that
the document isn't an SGML document.

I'm currently leaning towards something simpler, maybe just:

   <!DOCTYPE HTML5>

This would still trigger standards mode (I believe; we'd have to check, of
course) and would be a lot easier to remember.

But I won't be looking at this in detail for some time (probably not
until I start working on the "Parsing" section).