[whatwg] Fear of scope creep

Olav Junker Kj?r wrote:
> I'm a bit concerned by the apparent scope creep of WHATWG.
>
> The charter of WHAT <http://whatwg.org/charter> says:
> "The goal of the Web Hypertext Applications Technology Working Group is
> to address the need for one coherent development environment for Web
> applications, through the creation of technical specifications that are
> intended to be implemented in mass-market Web browsers."
>
> Right now most of the discussions on the WHAT mailing list concerns
> extensions and clarification of the semantics of document-oriented HTML
> elements, and discussions about the low-level syntax of HTML (DTD, SGML
> etc.). "Web Applications 1.0" is apparently slowly turning into "HTML 5".

I mentioned this a while back too. Part of the problem is that we aren't
submitting enough applications related topics. So it seems that all
discussion is around standard HTML. This may in turn be due to the fact
that we are currently publishing WF2 and (as a group) we haven't turned
our full attention on WA1. But you're right, I have a hundred
outstanding messages from the WHATWG list which all seem to nitpick
existing HTML. I'll probably mark them all as "read" without actually
reading them.

-dean