[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

On Apr 17, 2005, at 04:58, fantasai wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> I am very hostile towards the idea of requiring UAs to implement any
>> XML parsing features that are in the realm of the XML 1.0 spec but
>> that the XML 1.0 spec does not require. This means processing the DTD
>> beyond checking the internal subset for well-formedness.
>
> That hostility may be justified as far as browser-type UAs go, but I
> would rather you didn't apply it to server-side and authoring tools.

When I said "UAs", I had client apps in mind.

>> Those who want to use entities for input, should parse and
>> reserialize as UTF-8 in their own lair and not expose their entity
>> references (or parochial legacy encodings) to the public network.
>
> For those of us writing HTML by hand, this is not a practical solution,
> particularly when invisible characters are involved. Invisible
> characters
> aside, I don't want to go digging through a Unicode character map every
> time I want → or τ.

That's not an issue for HTML where entities get tag soup treatment
anyway.

I didn't say that authors should not type entity references in XML. I
said that the entity references should be resolved before the data
travels from the server to the client.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi