[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:11:39 -0400
Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005, at 09:23, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>
>> If I ever get around to writing any form of conformance checker, true
>> SGML validation (most likely using OpenSP) or XML validation (probably
>> using Xerces or other XML parser) is at the top of my list.
>
> If I ever got around to it, DTD validation wouldn't be my approach. I'd
> use Jing with Relax NG and a hand-written SAX filter for checking what
> Jing cannot check. (text/html could be handled by substituting a parser
> that inferred optional tags and appeared to the app as a parser parsing
> XHTML--like TagSoup without error recovery.)
>
>> | 1. Criteria that can be expressed in a DTD.
>>
>> validation is a critical part of conformance checking.
>
> You could check the same criteria either manually or using Relax NG.
> Using DTDs is not required.
>
>> If CMSs are ever going to enforce strinctly conformant code, then DTD
>> validation will be a core component of that process.
>
> Why bother with DTDs now that Relax NG exists?

I agree that syntax-checking for xHTML5 documents should be implemented
with RelaxNG rather than DTDs. However, iirc, RelaxNG can't be used on
regular HTML. One could create a toolchain that converts HTML to xHTML
and then runs it through RelaxNG, but I wouldn't be surprised if the
converter needed a DTD for the SGML->XML conversion to work...

~fantasai