[whatwg] [web-apps] Titles in HTML

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:31:49 -0400, fantasai
<fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net> wrote:

> John Lewis wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:08:58 -0400, fantasai
>> <fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I agree that <q> has problems, particularly with en-US style
>>> punctuation. However, if the italics is going to be in the CSS, I
>>> think the quotation marks should also be there.
>>  But the italic text needs* to be applied via CSS. The quotation marks
>> could
>> be written by the author. In plain text, for example, quotation marks
>> are
>> content, and italic text must be faked (_like this_ to represent
>> underlining) or done without. In UAs that don't support CSS (or don't
>> support
>> it fully), written quotation marks will still work.
>
> By that argument, in UAs that don't support CSS, italics won't work
> either.

Italics was supported in UAs before CSS existed. AFAIK generated quotes
haven't enjoyed the same support. What I was trying to say is that even
CSS browsers that support font-style do not necessarily support generated
quotes. Any browser that implements CSS1, for instance, or one of the many
browsers with partial CSS2(.1) support. We can't assume that because
font-style is supported that quotes/content will be too. One is basic
(implemented more or less universally), and the other isn't.

Either way will work, but I still prefer manual quotation marks. I haven't
seen any reason why generated quotation marks will be better.

--
John Lewis