[whatwg] [web-apps] 2.7.8 The i element

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:04:49 +0100
Ian Hickson wrote:

> I am considering that we need some predefined class names.

Yuck. This has several problems; it makes document semantics harder to
parse (especially as an element may have multiple space seperated
strings in the class attribute - substring matching in general is
significantly harder than exact value matching), it could cause authors
to unwittingly add inaccurate sematics to documents (by accidentially
using a reserved class name) - which reduces the value for people who do
use the resvered names correctly - and causes compatibility problems
since valid HTML4 documents may use a now-reserved name.

Is there a good reason for reserved class names? I tend to believe that
anything important enough to be included may as well be a tag. If we're
looking to provide hooks for domain-specific microformats that should
use a seperate mechanism (e.g. a special subType attribute or somesuch)
with some provison for (pseudo)namespacing the microformat values (e.g.
<link rel="subformat" href="http://example.com/#microformat"
namespace="mf" /> and then e.g. <span subtype="mf:shipName">HMS
Victory</span>).