[whatwg] [web-apps] 2.7.8 The i element

From: Rob Mientjes <robmientjes@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:57:31 +0200
> Well, it would just be for people, vehicles (ships), that kind of thing. I
> wasn't imagining that people would want to use it for technologies.

Well, a NAME element sounds like it may be used for it (and ambiguous
naming and spec defining leads to tag abuse, no?).

> Would it make sense to allow it for books? I don't know. Maybe the <cite>
> element needs a "type" attribute that takes values like "person", "ship",
> "publication"? What other names do people want to mark up?

That feels like something much better. That way, you can talk about
<cite type="person">Anne van Kesteren</cite>, <cite type="publication"
(publication sounds a bit vague, maybe something along the lines of
source?)>A Dao of Web Design</cite> and maybe better something such as
<cite type="object">Titanic</cite>. This deserves some serious
attention, cause well, ship is rather silly ;)
--
Cheers,
Rob.

http://zooibaai.nl  |  http://digital-proof.org  |  http://chancecube.com