[whatwg] [html5] 2.6.1. The a element

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:28:23 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Shouldn't the XML model (and therefore the specification) allow nested
> links?

I don't know, what would it mean? What would the DOM events processing
model be?

> Also, I think this part should be removed:
>
> # Otherwise, it represents an anchor: a possible end-point for other
> # hyperlinks.
>
> ... because every element represents an anchor. (Perhaps this should be
> added to the description of the ID attribute. When it is set, the
> element becomes an anchor or so.)

Fair enough. So what does an <a> element with no href="" represent?
Nothing? Or I guess we could make the href="" attribute required.

> Also, you want to replace the pointer to #LinkTypes with #link-types.
> (As #link-types is already used various places it would be wise to
> change the pointer and more consistent as camelcase isn't really used.)

Anything that cross-refs to text past the big yellow-and-black <hr>
element will be reexamined at some point, don't worry about those.