[whatwg] <p> elements containing other block-level elements

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:45:06 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> > >  pre>code:only-child { display: block; }
> >
> > Hm? Why?
>
> Where this is the need to apply styles to block of code, such as a
> background colour or border, but those styles don't need to apply all
> pre elements in general.

Oh, well, sure. That's a CSS limitation, though, which should be fixed in
CSS. Not something that we want to have unduly affect the language design.

> Would you not have caught the error while previewing in your browser,
> before publishing? Although, as I said earlier, a CMS should enforce the
> well-formedness too, not just the end user.

Who said anything about a CMS? The WHATWG specs, for instance, are hand-
written. It is very easy (happens all the time) for me to introduce syntax
errors that I don't notice for ages (since I often don't check the output,
I just suddenly save and go off somewhere, half-way through edits).