[whatwg] Image maps: should we drop <a coords="">?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:53:37 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, fantasai wrote:

> > Anyone want us to keep <a coords="">?
>
> If Moz and Opera support it, then it already passes CR criteria.

Yeah, but so what? It's not used, it's redundant with another (more widely
implemented, not must worse) feature, and it makes the spec more
complicated. Would you mind if it was dropped?

> Besides, you shouldn't be obsoleting things without letting them go
> through the deprecation stage. No?

What's the point of the deprecation stage? All it seems to do is
legitimise things that we don't want people using. ("Well, I'm only using
it temporarily until the spec obsoletes it." "It's only deprecated."
"It's deprecated but you can still use it.")

Browsers will continue supporting features WELL after the spec obsoletes
the feature, let alone deprecates it. People still support <plaintext>...