[whatwg] [WA1] Title Element Content Model

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 09:06:01 +0200
Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> | In HTML (as opposed to XHTML), the title element must not contain
> | content other than text and entities; user agents must parse the
> | element so that entities are recognised and processed, but all other
> | markup is interpreted as literal text.
>
> I think that should be changed to state:
>
>   "... but, for backwards compatibility, all other markup (such as
>    elements and comments) should be interpreted as literal text."

Why? Its content model is #PCDATA:
  <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.2>

You also don't want to introduce this in standards mode or so as you
don't want to make parsing documents harder. You do not want to
introduce more quirks.

> | In XHTML, the title element must not contain any elements.
>
> I disagree with this.  XHTML 2 has been updated to allow markup within
> the title element and I think this XHTML should too.  Since we can
> change the content models for XHTML, I see no reason not too.

It would work as current UAs (I tested in Mozilla) ignore elements
inside TITLE.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>