[whatwg] <p> elements containing other block-level elements

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 10:49:55 +0200
Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> an HTML5 doctype is used) as text/html.

Ouch, that would break everything and no UA would agree with such a
descision. Making even more tag soup hacks would be very bad for the
real world.

Why would you replace text with an image here?

>> For instance, in the XHTML variant you can use embedded MathML.
>> Is this just a case like that?
>
> I don't think so.  MathML can't be used in HTML because there are no
> is for bugwards compatibility.

I assume you mean backwards compatibility as the HTML4 specification
states how this should work.

I think MathML is an excellent example of something that is easy to
introduce in XHTML documents but near impossible in HTML documents
(although you could use the OBJECT element with the data URI scheme).

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>