[whatwg] <p> elements containing other block-level elements

On 08/04/2005, at 8:47, Matthew Thomas wrote:
> for two reasons:<ul>
> <li>such lists are already used in typography</li>
> <li>they would have acceptable presentation in UAs that claim HTML4
>     support.</li>
> </ul>But as for inline lists, I think creating markup for them would
> be a waste of time.</p>

I wonder if having nested block elements could make CSS author's life
harder?

As was pointed out elsewhere on this thread (list?), existing UAs would
implicitly close any outer block elements upon encountering a nested
block element. So the example above would be treated as:

<ul>...</ul>

Or similar. WF2/HTML5 UAs wouldn't do this, of course.

If a CSS author for example specified padding for both the P and the UL
elements, then wouldn't the results would be different depending on the
UA's support for WF2/HTML5? Depending on how the legacy browser works,
it might not be possible to work around this problem using
child/descendent selectors.

Mike.

--
Michael Gratton, Software Architect.