[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

From: Jim Ley <jim.ley@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:56:41 +0100
On Apr 7, 2005 11:51 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> >
> > Entities. Or is that problem going to be solved by: "use UTF-8"? (Which
> > would be something I wouldn't disagree with, although for mathematical
> > symbols it might be a pain to enter them.)
>
> In my world that is solved by no longer claiming that HTML is an SGML
> application.

So please state that clearly in the specification.

Can you also explain the point of the <!DOCTYPE ...  gibberish that
the specs require at the top of documents?  What are they doing,
please remove them, they serve no purpose whatsoever.  Or if they do
serve a purpose, document what the purpose is.

Jim.