[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:22:25 +0300
On Apr 7, 2005, at 00:50, Jim Ley wrote:

> Which would mean we also have to start redfining DOM, so
> document.getElementById(...) is defined to work against things that
> happen to be named id and not just things that are ID's.
>
> Is it really worth going down this road?

If you mean: Is it worth going down the road of requiring
getElementById to support arbitrary characters in ids?

Perhaps not. Depends on what is implemented.

If you mean: Is it worth going down the road of requiring
getElementById to consider idness based on factors other that the ID
type in a DTD?

Definitely yes. Browsers don't process DTDs and the W3C already allows
the DOM impl to use info other than the DTD to figure out which
attributes count as ids.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi