[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Because, if I am understanding correctly and a validator is a form of
> conformance checker, a validator cannot check constraints that are not
> expressed in the DTD and require them to be interpreted by the author.
> Therefore, validators are exempt from checking such constraints, but are
> non-conformant for not checking them anyway, as stated in the note.
> (well done if you are not totally confused by that, I tried to make it
> as clear as possible :-))

I dont think that is correct.

There are three types of conformance criteria:
(1) Criteria that can be expressed in a DTD
(2) Criteria that cannot be expressed by a DTD, but can still be checked
by a machine.
(3) Criteria that can only be checked by a human.

A conformance checker must check (1) and (2). A simple validator which
only checks (1) is therefore not conformant.

regards