[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

>> I don't see anything about validators. I only read about
>> "Conformance checkers".
>
> In the note in that section [1]:
>
> | Conformance checkers that only perform validation are
> non-conformant,

So? That doesn't make it a validator. A conformance checker might do
things validators do too, but that doesn't make it one.

> In fact, now that I've read it again, it seems rather contradictory.

How?

> I would argue that conformance requirements that cannot be expressed
> by a DTD *are* constraints that require interpretation by the author.

Not really. Think about:
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/archives/2003/09/invalid-after-validated>

> Therefore, that section seems to be saying that validators are exempt
> from checking some things, but are non-conformant for not checking
> them anyway.

Note that this is about more than just validating and isn't about
validators.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>