[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:36:26 +1000
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>
>> Olav Junker Kj?r wrote:

> I don't see anything about validators. I only read about "Conformance
> checkers".

In the note in that section [1]:

| Conformance checkers that only perform validation are non-conformant,

In fact, now that I've read it again, it seems rather contradictory.
Just before the note, it states:

| Conformance checkers are exempt from detecting errors that require
| interpretation of the author's intent (for example, while a document
| is non-conformant if the content of a blockquote element is not a
| quote, conformance checkers do not have to check that blockquote
| elements only contain quoted material).

I would argue that conformance requirements that cannot be expressed by
a DTD *are* constraints that require interpretation by the author.
Therefore, that section seems to be saying that validators are exempt
from checking some things, but are non-conformant for not checking them
anyway.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/