[whatwg] Status bars and progress indicators

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:30:47 -0400
Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>HTML shouldn't give the user agent any kind of direction on rendering
>of controls, and gage kind of makes me thing of dials and speedometers
>:D
>
>How about:
><indicator>
>or...
><progress>
>or...
><status>

    You're thinking <progressmeter>, which was already suggested. The
element <gauge>/<gage> (I do not pretend to have accurate information on
which spelling is more widely used), is intended to show a percentage in
situations where a progress meter would be confusing, like in search
engines where they give you a percent match to your query. This need not
resemble a progress bar.