[whatwg] RE: Degrading of web applications

From: Chris Were <chris.were@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:29:17 +0930
> > A particular web application that is designed entirely
> > around the functionality provided by XMLHR would have no requirement
> > to degrade nicely. Any degradation and it becomes useless as all its
> > functionality and content is provided through javascript.
>
> That's just ridiculous, if any application has a requirement to
> degrade nicely, then just saying "this application uses javascript so
> doesn't have to"
That's not what i'm saying...

> isn't something I can agree with I'm afraid.  web
> applications provide functionality the implementation details are
> irrelevant to the importance of degradability.
No, implementation details *can be* (generally aren't) important.
Remember I'm talking about a specific example not all web
applications. The example i'm highlighting is an implementation
completely through javascript. As such if a browser doesn't support JS
it can not use the application. There is no meaning or point of having
the site degrade to non-JS users as they can't use the thing.

Chris