[whatwg] WA1 - The Section Header Problem

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2004, at 16:43, Matthew Raymond wrote:
>
>>    Of course, if you want the headers to derive their levels of
>> importance from parent markup, you'd have to convert the <hn>
>> support it. And in a <section>-less world, you'd have that problem
>> anyway unless you selected the level of the header ahead of time to
>> compensate, which would also solve the problem in the above example
>> as well.
>

> In the h1...h6 world the inclusion template directive could specify
> how many levels the headings of the included content need to be
> shifted down.
>
> (A DOM-based implementation, when shifting h1 down by one, would
> create a h2 node, move the attributes and children of the h1 node to
> the h2 node and then replace the h1 node with the h2 node.)

So...

<h1>Whee</h1>
<section>
    <h1>Whoo</h1>
    <section>
        <h1>Whaa</h1>
        <section>
        </section>
        <h1>Whuu</h1>
        <section>
        </section>
    </section>
</section>

Does that translate into
+ Whee
  + Whoo
    + Whaa
    + Whuu

or into
+ Whee
+ Whoo
+ Whaa
+ Whuu

I think the first tree makes the most sense. Since I am not aware of any
actual HTML4 outliners, suggesting the former in the spec does not seem
unreasonable.

Isn't the main objection to the W3C process and standards such as XHTML2
and SVG that they are ignoring actual uses of technology in favour of
hypothetical uses? Aren't such outliners hypothetical uses of HTML?
--
Leons Petrazickis