[whatwg] Re: <section> and headings

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:17:07 +0200
On Nov 16, 2004, at 15:33, James Graham wrote:

> Given this list of constraints, what is the advantage of introducing
> yet-another-heading-element <h>? I don't understand what it does that
> <h1> through <h6> do not do.

<h> and <section> allow na?ve inclusions, so that the content author or
the CMS does not need to deal with heading level shifting.

IMO <h> and <section> are better than <h1> through <h6>, but I'm not
convince that they are better enough to warrant the incompatibility.
Besides, when you have both, the required CMS code gets even uglier
than what is needed with only <h1> through <h6>.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://iki.fi/hsivonen/