[whatwg] <cite>

On 15 Nov, 2004, at 12:58 PM, Laurens Holst wrote:

> Matthew Thomas wrote:
>> You mean posts by citation
>> <http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/12/27/pushing_the_envelope>. I
>> hope "Hixie said I was using [<cite>] correctly"
>> <http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/01/19/influences> was an
>> over-broad interpretation of Ian's words, because (a) Ian has
>> mentioned "'clarifying' the definition of <cite>"
>> <http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-November/
>> 002329.html>, and (b) while Mark's uses of <cite> matched the example
>>  given in the HTML 4.01 spec
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#edef-CITE>, they
>> did not match the default presentation in all visual UAs, nor the
>> resultant use by most Web authors.
>> (Specifically, I think the most coherent and backward-compatible
>> "clarification" would be to restrict <cite> to titles of works,
>> because inviting authors to use it for names of people as suggested
>> in the HTML 4.01 example would require authors to override <cite>'s
>> italic-ness frequently, making them more likely to abandon the
>> element completely.)
>
> Actually, in the cases where I used cite for that purpose, italics
> what exactly what I intended them to be rendered like.
>
> Example:
> really busy with the alternate style sheet switcher (at least I?m
> seeing a fair lot of activity on the bugs involved), so hopefully by
> the time Firefox 1.0 gets released it will be back in. And perhaps we
> will even see persistent style switching, though I wouldn?t count on
> it.</p>"

If you really want italics there, with all due respect, you're strange.
Occasionally gossip columns have the equivalent of .name {font-weight:
bold;}, but otherwise the vast majority of publishers don't give
people's names in-line any special styling at all. Even
<http://diveintomark.org/css/squares-summer.css> has "cite {font-style:
normal;}" to reverse UAs' default italic, but people won't be bothered
adding that to their site's style sheets if it's easier just to not use
<cite> in the first place.

So if <cite> is "clarified" to include names of authors, we'll see the
first two phenomena I described a week ago
<http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-
November/002344.html>: most people won't bother using it (because it
doesn't give them a presentation they want), and those people who do
use it will do so overzealously.

You just provided an excellent example of overzealous use: you wrote
"<cite>fantasai</cite>", but that is not conformant, because you used
fantasai neither as "a citation" nor as "a reference to another
source".

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/