[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 Feedback

From: Matthew Thomas <mpt@myrealbox.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:19:47 +1300
On 10 Nov, 2004, at 5:37 PM, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> Matthew Thomas wrote:
>> Actually, buttons with rounded ends and buttons with rectangular ends
>>  have had the semantic meanings I described above since Mac OS 8.0
>> (albeit that those meanings were not explicitly stated in the HIGs).
>> It is true that the semantics are currently happening by accident,
>> and  they can be flouted if authors try hard enough, but they do
>> exist. They  may not be worth keeping; conversely, they may be worth
>> specializing  even further. (For example, Mac OS X introduces
>> completely circular  buttons, primarily used for controlling playback
>> of a media track.)
>
>    Are any of the differences you described actually in the HTML 4.01
> specification?

No, which is why I said "the semantics are currently happening by
accident".

>    With regard to buttons with rounded and square corners, could you
> please explain the differences in how they're used, because from a
> purely graphical standpoint, they seem well into CSS territory.

I don't think I can explain their meanings any better than I already
did, but here are some examples of each. Rounded: "OK", "Cancel",
"Save", "Don't Save", "Choose File...", "Advanced...", "Insert
Addresses...", "I'm Feeling Lucky". Rectangular: "Play", "Pause",
"Stop", "Move Up", "Move Down", "+", "-".

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/