[whatwg] Re: <section> and headings

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> James wrote:
> > (I also think that only the first heading in a section should be regarded as
> > a section title, the rest as subtitles. But I'm more ready to be persuaded
> > that that's a bad idea)
>
> No, that is a bad idea.  Same-level structured headings should not be regarded
> as sub headings for the purpose of an outline.  (Numbered headings should work
> as I have already described.)
>
> eg.
> <section>
>     <h>Heading A</h>
>     <h>Heading B</h> <!-- This is not a sub heading -->
> </section>
>
> unless you want to force authors to have to do the following which, from my
> experience of using divs for the same purpose, can result in an unmanageable
> structure when there are lots of headings.
>
> <section>
>     <h>Heading A</h>
> </section>
> <section>
>     <h>Heading B</h>
> </section>

This is an interesting point. I've been wondering what to do with multiple
headers in the same <section>.

We could say that the first <h1>-<h6> element is the top-level header for
that section, then any headers of that level (or above, up to <h1>) open
new sections (as if they said </section><section>, but without affecting
the DOM -- i.e. just semantically), and any headers of lower levels (down
to <h6>) open subsections, like in <body>.

The problem with that is it makes it not very easy to define simple DOM
interfaces to get the current section header, etc. I was hoping to define
an HTMLSectionElement interface where we could just have "headingElement",
for example, which would give you the element that represents that
section, and then "subsections" which is a NodeList of sections inside
this one. If you allow implied sections (as in <body>) then this largely
goes out of the window again.