[whatwg] [html5] thoughts

From: Max Romantschuk <max@provico.fi>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:34:35 +0200

Thomas Scholz wrote:
> No, some UAs insert quotes, some don't. A new defined element <quote>
> shouldn't require automagic quotes and leave this up to the author.

OK. I see your point. Even though this would esentially solve the
problem I would be hesitant to support such a solution. If two elements
mean the same thing on a semantic level and only differ in presentation
we're essentially returning to the HTML3 model of mixing content and
presentation.

I'm not claiming I have a better solution, but I feel we strive to
separate content from presentation and keep the semantic model as
unambiguous as possible.

.max

--
Max Romantschuk