[whatwg] [html5] thoughts

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>
>>Having an element NAME would be very useful.
>
> Could you expand on this? For things like films, books, etc, I was
> thinking of "clarifying" the definition of <cite>, but I haven't really
> thought of that much yet.

I don't know what exactly Anne was referring to, but from going through
an old type-composition book, I found the need for

   - title of long work (usually put in italics)
   - title of short work (usually put in quotes)
   - name of important/holy person (sometimes put in small-caps)
   - instance of (technical) term

There are a lot of sub-types of "title of work", but you can, at least
in English, sort them into the categories "long" and "short" and this
is sufficient for most typesetting practice. I haven't yet looked into
typesetting practices for other locales.

Someone suggested co-opting <abbr> to handle smileys.
I also think we need an element for expressing things like *runs away*.

~fantasai