[whatwg] Re: FormImplementation interface

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Olav Junker Kj?r wrote:

> > But in any case, I've now removed the entire FormImplementation
> > interface, in favour of XMLHttpRequest in the Web Apps draft now.
> > (There wasn't anything that it could do which XMLHttpRequest couldn't
> > do better, except that it was one call, and we can always define a
> > wrapper for XMLHttpRequest later if required.)
>
> I wonder if it would be useful with a somewhat higher level interface
> for posting data without worring about encoding or transport. The
> interface could take a collection of (name, value) pairs as input and
> would present the response in the same way, if the server returned xml
> formdata or something similar.

Yeah, that was my thinking behind the original API. I don't know whether
it is worth adding an extension to XMLHttpRequest to do this though.

> This might be useful for issues with complex overlapping forms, like the case
> with postcode or partnumber lookup as part of a larger form.

Well, this is somewhat possible in WF2 already (although I need to make
the form="" attribute take more than one value).

> This would allow much freedom in constructing forms orthogonal to the
> document structure. It could also be used for constructing forms where
> the controls are not actual input controls but some other custom dhtml.
> (It could even be used as a limited messaging or RPC client.)

True.